History should be concerned with stimulating the children’s interest and understanding about the life of people who lived in the past. We aim for the children to develop a sense of identity and a cultural understanding based on their historical heritage. We teach children to understand how events in the past have influenced our lives today; we also teach the children to investigate these past events and, by so doing, develop the skills of inquiry, analysis, interpretation and problem solving.
At Park Brow Primary School our intention is to provide quality teaching and learning of history. We aim:
- To promote an interest in the past
- To develop an understanding of events over time and in a chronological structure
- To learn about the roles that individuals and events have played in shaping modern society
- To develop an ability to investigate and interpret different versions of past events
- To learn to study historical evidence and to ask and answer questions about the past
- To develop the ability to communicate historical knowledge and understanding using a variety of techniques
- To encourage children to understand other people, their beliefs, thoughts, values and experiences
- To develop an awareness of the world around them
- To develop an understanding of society and their place within it, so that they acquire a sense of their cultural heritage
- To develop a knowledge and understanding of historical development in the wider world
Year 5 History
During the Spring Term, Year 5 have attended Kirkby High School for an exciting History programme on the Ancient Greeks. This programme ran for four sessions and the children completed some excellent written work.